Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 27: That Small City Life

Florence is growing on me. I'm not in love with it, partly because some of the experiences I've had have been less than pleasant. I had a migraine yesterday - something I haven't had since my junior year of high school. Of course, it would happen while I'm out of the country. I am thankful, however, that I was at home and could sleep, even though I'd done that all day. I'm always on the Strugglebus in this city, I swear.

On the plus side, many of the girls have made fabulous connections that get us into clubs as VIP with free bottles, drinks, and shots. Last night would have been prime had I not just battled that monster migraine, felt severely dehydrated, and had a leech on my side half the night. In other words, my night was less than fabulous. Attempting to satiate my thirst with alcohol is one of the less intelligent decisions I could've made. It did absolutely nothing and left my mouth feeling even more like sandpaper than before. Having a guy who wasn't really my type all up in my business didn't help, either. I finally just told him I wasn't really interested and that I wanted to find an Italian - not another American!!! - he just brushed off the comment and continued his pursuit. If there's one thing in this world that ceases my lady juices from flowing, it's a clingy guy. Throw some traveling in there, and he's in the negatives. Just no. I'm adventurous and independent, and if I'm already not attracted to you, you might as well give up the chase.

I don't mind the prodding from the Italian men because they're accustomed to the word "no". For instance, this would only fly in Italy:

Italian guy walking behind us: What time is it?
Us: One.
Italian guy: What?
Us: One!
Italian guy: Oh, time for sex!
Us: No.
Italian guy: Awww...what's your name?
And so on...

I kid you not; that is how it went down. I think they just cut to the chase in the glimmer of a hope that some woman might just agree. You'll never know if you don't ask, right? The guys here crack me up. Although, I haven't found my Italian stallion yet, and I only have three weeks left until we leave Firenze. Time will tell, I suppose.

I've been feeling the pangs of homesickness, which I haven't been willing to admit until now. I haven't been able to communicate with my friends and family back home as much as I would like, but I'm thankful for the times when my sister is available to FaceTime or I open a Snapchat. Being halfway done with the program is reassuring. I love my classes and getting to know the culture, but it's still tough being away from the people I love. I know I'm being a total wimp, but it certainly takes a lot of energy to turn your life upside down, even if it is only for a few weeks.

After a little rest and relaxation today, I'm ready to embark on some new adventures tomorrow (or later today, as it's now early morning).

*I would also like to lament the passing of Cory Monteith. Waking up to that headline on my phone was devastating. I remember watching Glee from day one and falling in love with the show. I could escape into the world of McKinley High when my own high school days were dark and dreary. Cory brought such light to the show, and I always admired the relationship he and Lea Michele shared on screen. May he rest with the angels above.

No comments:

Post a Comment